Followers of this blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

We All Just Want to Be Loved- go easy on judgments



St. Paul, MN - Ordway Dance Series (CMG original)

“When you see people only as personalities, rather than souls with life missions to fulfill, you forever limit the growth and possibilities of what God has in store for another person.”
― Shannon Alder



“Sometimes your light shines so bright that it blinds people from seeing who you really are.”
― Shannon Alder

“Worry less about what other people think about you, and more about what you think about them.” -Fey Weldon


I have been thinking about judgments.  My brain is constantly sorting and categorizing.  That is what it does best.  It assesses a situation.  Judges it for safety.  It has kept me alive.  Good, bad, right, wrong…is there a car coming, is the water too hot?  I have survived because I have made good judgments so there is a time and place for the brain.  What prompted me to think more deeply about this recently was a Wii game.  You know the Wii it is a gaming device, a bit like the Xbox but the Wii  targeted movement.  Wii Sports, Wii Fit. 

For Christmas this year I got a game for the Wii.  “Leela” by Deepak Chopra.  It is now September and I just put it in the Wii last night.  You see, I hardly ever play on the Wii, I don’t find myself in my living room sitting on the couch all that much and I hadn’t found the time to play this game until now.  Before I opened it, I found myself placing a judgment on it as well and asking questions, “What is this game?”, “Meditation on the TV?”  “That is not TRUE meditation.”

Then, I played “Leela” (which is the Sanskrit word that means “play”) and found it truly wonderful!  I sat and silently meditated with it for 7 minutes.  I focused on my breathing with some beautiful background music.  I reviewed the charkas.  As I was doing this, my thirteen year old came in the room and said he wanted to play.  Great!  My thirteen year old is going to meditate, nothing wrong with that.  He wants to try to plant the trees and get them to grow in the sunlight, cool! 

It was then that I had another ahHA moment.  We are all not Tibetan monks in a small village in the mountains.  Some of us live in busy cities, in rural farmhouses, in suburban sprawl.  It’s all good!  My judgments led me to believe that meditation or stillness could not occur through a TV, through a Wii but who am I to judge?  Maybe it can.  Maybe if a few more people bought “Leela”, the world would be a more peaceful place.

Yes, we judge.  We are human. But let that not be an excuse to do so.  Just for today, where can you let go of some of those judgments?  How are those judgments limiting you?  What judgments are you placing on yourself?  Can you let go of ONE and set yourself free?   

1 comment:

  1. Lately one of my maxims is "Always challenge your mind!" -- meaning that we should always self-check those judgements, especially if they limit the amount of experience and information we are consciously aware of and operating with. This self-check is an absolute necessity in order to cultivate the creativity, capacity for problem-solving and adaptation necessary for leadership. If you judge a situation and close the door on the full spectrum of info, you are operating with blinders on, and vulnerable to error and the great cosmic slap-down!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you. What you have to say is important! Please leave a comment.